After our initial meeting of staff and students at St James' today, these are the ideas we came up with. Please add any other ideas or comments:
What is going on in the Chapters and across Chapters so that this works?
Chapter X is working on a ‘on line petition’
· One group member has come up with real unbiased information on the topic – how many minors are in detention – data from Department of Immigration – Freedom of Information
· They share this with the other Chapters
· They publish some of this in newsletter and a student portal and our Facebook site
· Chapter N has got a newspaper interview going on this topic
· Chapter X has got a series of ‘signs’ raising awareness and have sent them to the other chapters to be printed and shared.
· One has sent the other Chapters some resources we have made.
· Chapter Y has set up a across Chapters FaceBook group on this issue. We are looking at how to use this best …..
· Chapter Y has got an ‘on line’ calendar of Social Justice events etc that ERAfor Change will publish and perhaps support
· We have a common – connecting ‘portal’ for topics and responses
· Chapter Z is hosting the end of term support and information sharing gathering at its school
· Some reps from each Chapter are having an interview with a local Refugee Group to ask ‘why’ are there so many ….. and inviting their local MP along.
· The end of term gathering has as its main topic – what across Chapter – combined group action we are going to do to keep the issue in the media etc – a solidarity march / candle light vigil etc.
· Chapter U has written a series of Assembly prayers and sent to other chapters
· Chapter P has come up with a simulation game that gets people in the ‘feel’ of what this would be like in real life. “How would you feel if …..”
· The end of term gathering of all the Chapters begins to raise what issue we will look at next ….